Thursday, January 18, 2018

Cross-Post: GURPSDay Summary and Reflections

Bullies be gone.
Another week, another seven days.

What's happening?

Generic Universal Eggplant has a handful of fixture monsters from D&D converted, and the Peshkali token from Dungeons on Automatic is pretty helpful. Curious about the pyramid issue coming out next week. It's been a few months since something came out that was an immediate must-have for me.

Other Thoughts and Self Reflection

Reviews take a lot of time to write, a few hours for me, so it was kinda nice to not have any intense deadline for the Fantasy-Tech 1 review. It seemed modestly popular, so that's neat.
I am feeling a bit of writer's block and a lot of pressure from different directions, so my big personal project is currently delayed a bit. I think I'm going to start making example characters according to my campaign assumptions to try to gauge appropriate starting point levels. I want to go for a feeling of "under qualified, but will grow into it as long as they don't die," but I don't want to go so far that everything is absolutely futile, or only my imagined "correct solution" is the only one that lets the players survive. I'm trying to achieve the nirvana of "regimented rank and file fair combat is a bad decision, survival will count on the ability to think outside the box." This requires a type of flexibility from GMs that is a weak point for me; the skill to accept a proposed out of the box solution, and work with the players so that it can work within reason, but not going too far that the players trample all over any sense of tension. Oh well, I got no hard deadlines for myself, but I think if I can make some example characters, a few large maps, and outline a few scenarios, I might be able to test some of my campaign assumptions in a month or two; whether there is too much bookkeeping, whether it is too hopeless or too easy, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...